DR. WILLIAM McCOWN
Dr. William McCown, PhD, Clinical Psychologist
Monroe Office · Counseling Center
William McCown, Ph.D., is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and professor who specializes in psychological testing and assessment of children, teens, and adults. He has more than 30 years of testing and therapy experience.
Psychological testing often helps people better understand their problems and treatment options. It can help pinpoint and document troubles with attention, mood, memory, thinking, and learning. It is also useful in the treatment of trauma, addiction, anxiety, personality problems, and many other areas. For children and teens, who are often less able to describe their symptoms, a comprehensive psychological assessment can be invaluable. Testing may also be suggested by therapists, physicians, and other healthcare providers as part of ongoing treatment.
Dr. McCown was born in rural South Carolina and received his PhD in Clinical Psychology from Loyola University of Chicago. He completed his clinical internship in child and adult psychology at Tulane University Medical Center. He is the co-author or editor of seven books and many professional articles and presentations.
In addition to being a practitioner and professor, Dr. McCown is also an international consultant, known for his work in psychological trauma, addictions, and self-control. While living in Philadelphia, he was the host of a popular radio show focusing on families and mental health. Northeast Louisiana has been his home for almost two decades.
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Clinical Psychologist
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor
- Licensed Addictions Counselor
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Licensed Speech Language Pathologist
- Licensed Occupational Therapist
- Licensed Physical Therapist
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration